Friday, August 23, 2013

Afterword: Study the Field

I've been thinking about being done with school now for about a week and a half.  Even though I've been "looking" at job openings and seeing what's out there for about a year, this week has been different.  I has made me see some of the mistakes I made.

My major was Information Security.  Mainly because I originally wanted a degree in Computer Forensics and couldn't find a school that had a four year degree in it.  It was mostly offered in a two year or 18 month format.  I wish that I'd done some research while I was working through school.  I certainly would have started the certification process sooner.

Most employers are looking for tech plus "blank."  For example, the job I recently applied for wanted a tech that could do help desk and monitor a data center.  This has been the story in many jobs that I have seen.  The "tech" part is what I don't have.  I only know what I have learned so far in the book I bought and the videos that are offered from the school I just graduated from.  I only relatively recently discovered this world of certifications.  I'm now pursuing the CompTia approach: A+, Network+, and then Security+.  The A+ book is the thickest at 1600+ pages.  I'm trying to be ready to take the test by December.

I recommend Mike Meyer's All-In-One A+ Certification study guide.  He has test tips and real life application tips.  I paid about $40 for the 2012 edition.  I will definitely go for his Network+ book when I'm ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment