Thursday, March 12, 2015

Two Confessions II

Let's see.

So now I knew he's always wanted me to work.  What isn't included in that short conversation is a trip down memory lane, but not in a good way.  It's a sad terrible night that ended with an enraged father-in-law shaking a checkbook at me, begging me to get a job.  Any job.  Whatever job I could find.  Really?  Like I could only get a job in a McDonalds.

Let's go back a few moments further.  An angry father-in-law, a checkbook, and a poised ball point pen.   

Get a job.  

Any job and I will double whatever your pay is.  If you make five dollars an hour I will make it ten.

"No."  I said.  "I want to raise my son."

The grilling only continued.

I remember the room thick with electricity.  In their carefully chosen mobile home in their carefully chosen mobile home park.  Their carefully chosen brand-new mid-size affordable vehicles in the carport.   The in-laws were pretty certain they had arrived.  The good life was theirs.  Only a few loose ends.

I refused to work.  Perhaps earn my keep, if you will.  Whatever he had told them, whatever they assumed, I don't know.  They weren't at our pre-marital counseling sessions.  I would stay home and raise our children.  No one else.  It was his job to provide for the family and my job to make our home and family a safe haven from the world.

How did this fit into a quantifiable equation?  Heck if I know.

Their disappointment laced in anger was palpable that night.

I held my ground and left with my son and my dignity in tact.

It's always been about the money with them.  Write a check.  That will solve it.  Nothing was ever given without strings attached.  Interest.

I felt good about our little family.  We had ridden out a sizable storm that night.  The wrath of my father-in-law.  The weak silence of my mother-in-law.  We had held together and survived. 

In my opinion, we had done nothing wrong.  We were young.  All three of us.  We were poor.

There was so much more to come.

I would learn I was alone that night and would be alone again.

No comments:

Post a Comment