Friday, September 6, 2013

IT Strata Fundamentals VS A+ Certification

I've been doing some research on the A+ and Strata certs.  There are a lot of opinions out there.  First, the Strata is $103 and and the A+ is $183.  There are 70 questions and the A+ just has gobs more.  It looks like the Strata is just plain easier.  I've found some conflicting evidence that that Strata is an actual certification.  I also wanted to find out if companies were recognizing the test in the same reverent light that A+, Network+, and Security+ have come to enjoy.  Not so sure on that one.  The Strata series is relatively new.  It's bringing out the dyed in the wool skeptics.  I like the idea of another series of tests.  I've been looking for a job in IT for over a year, and it seems "experience" is that dirty little secret college recruiters won't tell us.  The Strata series shows potential employers this student knows these skills.  It still doesn't replace the golden chalice of experience, but I think it brings those of us trying to break in to the mysterious world of IT an extra leg up.

Here's my opinion.  Employers claim--complain--there aren't enough tech people out there to fill the positions, yet so far every job I have looked at has required no less than five years experience and usually includes a l-o-n-g list of requirements and preferences.  I have even looked at entry level positions that require several certifications.  I have never seen a job description that includes A+ or Strata as a requirement.  That said, for the hundred bucks, if a job seeker can pass the test with at least a 70%, it's just that one more thing to put on the resume that says, "Take a Chance on me."

I have four years of school behind me and a degree in IT/IS.  I'm working on my A+ for about six months now and don't feel anywhere near ready.  I am super tempted to take the Strata and then take the A+.  My mom is supposed to be sending me some money for graduation.  If there's an extra $100 in there I may consider it as a preparation for A+.

No comments:

Post a Comment