Monday, September 9, 2013

The Tech Support, Help Desk Dumping Station

True career changers need to be aware, so I can't stress the addition of tech skills to any IT position.  The problem is, employers don't get it.  We don't all graduate knowing how to do help desk and tech support--at least I didn't.  What does this mean?  What does it mean, the unavoidable occurrence that every position I look at includes the Tech Support Help Desk Dumping Station.  I suppose as the weeks tick by and we get closer and closer to being out of money, out of credit and out of time, the only thing standing in my way of getting in the door to even have my application land on an actual desk and not in the trash is two things:

Experience and the ability to perform tech support and help desk duties.  I keep saying it, and I'm sure my family gets tired of hearing it.  Why didn't I know this?

True career changers, pay heed:

Start those certifications early.  Don't be like me.  Face with some very expensive tuition and an incomplete education experience.  The big three (or four) are out there and can be achieved by the time you graduate, if you start early:

CompTia Strata IT Fundamentals, A+, Network+, and Security+.

No comments:

Post a Comment