Saturday, August 24, 2013

Winding Down and Cranking It Up

The week is winding down.  I was trying to decide what I wanted to do on Sunday nothing, a half workout, or full steam ahead.  The best I could do was decide to wait until tomorrow and see what I did and didn't feel like doing.  Tonight I didn't feel like working out but it went well.  Here are my stats:

Time: 67
Distance: 3.85
Calories: 474
Disc: #1 plus Ab ripper - 4 minutes

Supplemental

Time: 15
Distance: .75
Calories: 98

Considering starting on Monday with 16 supplemental minutes for the week.  I am definitely becoming a faster runner than I was even a year ago.  After being on the treadmill for over an hour,  I ran one minute at 5.5 mph.  Some might say one minute is not a big deal, it is.

I heard a comment on one of these reality weight loss shows that has been sticking with me.  It's the reason I started working on running faster.  If the work out is not getting me what I want, I need to increase the intensity at which I am working out.  I didn't want to hear that, but it makes sense.  Anyone can walk seven miles if given the chance to amble along, but it takes intensity to complete the seven miles in, say, an hour.

I've been thinking about my goal to run the Seven Mile Bridge race.  I need to add less than two miles to the time I am running.  I'm down to about five or six months. Can't remember exactly when my personal deadline was.  I think I was trying for seven miles in 70 minutes.  That's a six mile an hour average.  So to think this through, I need to get up to running six miles an hour and add time each day or week at a pace that will get me to the six miles per hour for 70 minutes.  With the race now eight months away and I'm still trudging along at barely over three miles an hour, it's time to rethink my strategy.

No comments:

Post a Comment