Friday, March 4, 2011

The Winter of Our Discontent, Part 2: The Wooing

This is part two of a series.  You can find part one by clicking on the labels or clicking on it in the archives.

In later days when we were in the same room together again, I noticed how skillfully he moved through the crowd--what he said and who he said it to.  He was working these people.  He flirted with the women and impress the men.  I would not be "worked".  I avoided his presence and his gaze.  We weren't required to speak to one another and I was thankful.  He did his part and I did mine.  Still I watched and listened.

He was free with stories about himself.  Adventure and fortune seemed to follow him.  Friends and fame were a byproduct.  He had led a glamorous life, there was no denying that.  He'd found fortune and profit.  He spoke of it as if it were a natural occurence.  I changed my socks, I made money, I changed my pants, I made more money.  The cards had been dealt in his favor.

On one particular occasion, I hung back from the departing crowd as I always did.  He addressed me in his easy going manner.  I made a harsh remark concerning his adventures.  I could tell he was not impressed, but at the same time, he was unaffected.  He said nothing when I know that he could have vicerated me with his quick wit and sharp tongue.  He was the much more worthy opponent.  I backed down and walked away from him, but I'd seen it flash across his eyes.  He was attracted to me.  I knew it and a single, tiny, deep seated vein in my body liked it--a lot.  The game was afoot.

No comments:

Post a Comment