Saturday, March 12, 2011

Not a Social Diva

It's been a long time since I met someone new in a social setting.  In entertainment, I meet people I don't know all the time.  It's not the same thing.  This woman--let's call her Lily--was all those girly things I'm not.  She had cute little shoes, cute little jeans, a cute little sweater, a cute little haircut and without a stitch of make up, she was cute.  She was a little bossy and a bit of a know it all, but best I could tell she wasn't saying anything that wasn't true. 

Lily seemed to know.  She was a fount of knowledge.  Whatever the discussion, she had an anecdote or personal experience.  I wasn't sure I didn't like her or I didn't like her talking for an hour straight.  She seemed to be an authority on everything.  When she left, she said that she was pleased to get to know me, that she could see we had a lot in common.

In common?  I didn't see it.  I mean, I don't kow.  Not wanting to give her the impression we were the best of buddies from this day forward, I told her it was nice to meet her.  I'm sure I would see her around.  Lily was one of those ladies that was like other ladies.  She preferred the company of other chatty women talking about women things like little girls, purses and crafts.  If I'm not in entertainer mode, I'm awkward, shy, almost stutter and never know how much to say so I probably don't say enough.

I've had a facebook account for over a year now.  I have 16 friends.  Total.  16.  Yep.  I had a few invitations when I first created my account from people I couldn't remember or people I wished I couldn't remember.  I just didn't connect with them.  I have not sent one friends request.  I figure if people want to know me or remember me, I'm right there, so as somewhat of a social experiment, I have purposefully chosen not to instigate friendship.

Meeting Lily was interesting in that it has been a very long time since I met someone I might actually see again after today.  I was nervous.  I wanted to take it slow, but she jumped in and endlessly chatted.  I mostly listened.

No comments:

Post a Comment