Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Re-programming Myself: What Feels Like a Priority Isn't Always a Priority

Holy Moly, I just finished half an assignment that was due Sunday at midnight.  I'm so discouraged and would rather quit this class and switch to Business Administration, but I can't, I've already failed it one time, so even if I do end up switching, I have to get the F off my transcript.  I'm not interested in letting this school take my money again without giving me a credit.

This has been a tough stretch.  I'm going to bed feeling anxious and stressed.  I don't know how some of these people do it with full-time jobs, young children and homes to maintain.  I'm literally doing little else but my small addition to the finances, minimal housework and home work.  I can't keep up.

I have a short list of chores I do each morning, no matter what.  Unloading/loading the dishwasher.  Feeding/watering cats.  Scooping litter.  Feeding/Watering wild birds.  Pick up/straighten up everything that got left out the night before and freshen the front bathroom.  (I have students five days a week, so it's easier to inspect the bathroom each day)  The kitchen has to be spotless before I feel free.  I make a decision about what meat to defrost for dinner.  After that, I can prioritize my day, but I'm not doing a very good job lately.  I'm checking facebook, this blog, my personal e-mail, my school message board and some other inconsequental sites, way too much.

It's time for a little re-programming.  I've been thinking about a dedicated list of 10 things I will do each day without fail--a.k.a. "the chores"--and then rather than using my emotions to feel my way through the day, doing things based on what I want to do next, I need to actually write down what I want to accomplish and make a conscious intellectual decision on what it is best to do next.  I think that will solve a lot of my static time.  I'll check in later in the week and let you know how the idea is working for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment