Wednesday, March 16, 2011

The Other Man - Antonio Banderas, Liam Neeson, Laura Linney, 2008

I watched this movie Saturday night on Hulu.com. This one is well written, almost too well written.  I hung with it because I didn't understand what had happened.  One moment one thing, then the next the other.  Eventually, it all came together and I realized the spark of genius in the jerky plot line.

However, this was a good movie for fans of these stars.  Neeson has always been an excellent choice for drama and suspense and he did not disappoint.  Banderas role is surprising, so I won't give this away.  The three lives--of course, this is Hollywood--become so entangled, I actually wanted to know how this one was going to end-- even with the sketchy, confusing plot.  The whole movie could have used more time to develop Neeson's character to better understand the relationship between husband and wife.  I thought this book might have been based on a book, but the only credit given is a "story" by Bernhard Schlink.  I'd like to get my hands on the short story to see if it is any better developed because the premise is great, just not that well developed.

Truth?  I might watch it again with someone that hasn't seen it, I might've rented it because of Neeson and Banderas, but I know I would not buy it.  One person watched it, so a reluctant two thumbs up for this movie because the idea is great, the development was skimpy.

No comments:

Post a Comment