Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Pizza or Pasta -- It Doesn't Matter, Why Lie?

Here's another one of those stories.  I asked my husband if he wanted dinner before he went to do the youth program at church.  He said no, he wanted to eat when he got home.  I said I'd make him a grilled cheese sandwich snack for him before he left.  He had about 30 or 40 minutes between when I got home and when he was going to leave.  I decided to wait until he got home to put the sandwich on the grill.

When he got home I asked him if he still wanted the sandwich.  He said no and told us to go ahead and eat leftover pasta, he'd eat when he got home which struck me as a little strange.  Why would he tell us to go ahead and eat?  He went to get ready to go.  He sat down on the couch and I asked him if he'd talked to the Education Director about getting pizza for the kids.  The Education Director was new.  He told me he'd already taken care of it.  I figured out he was planning on having pizza and that was why he told us to go ahead and eat.  I said something to that affect.  I wondered why he just didn't say that from the beginning.  Why did he have to play the martyr and tell us we could eat "without" him.  Why couldn't he have said, "The kids are having pizza tonight, you guys go ahead and eat.  If I'm still hungry when I get home I'll eat."  So I pressed him and he tried to tell me he was expecting to come through the door and see a grilled cheese sandwich, but that really didn't have anything to do with it, either.  I had plenty of time to make him a grilled cheese sandwich before he left.  This is the kind of thing that doesn't really matter, but at the same time, why lie?

No comments:

Post a Comment