Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Fitness: Switching Gears--Again

I've always wanted to try a training schedule but could never understand them enough to apply them any more than a few days.  Well, I did find one here.  It's a Couch to 5k plan.  I did a few days of the first week.  In order to do the 3 miles in 30 minutes I want to do, the jogging portion of the plan needs to be at 6 mph.  I did the 60/90 week at 5.5 and it was tough.

I don't know about "Couch to 5k" as described because I've been jogging/running in varying intensities for almost a year and although I haven't really progressed much beyond a sad 17 minute mile, I'm certainly not a couch potato.  This is a tough regime.

I'm going to do this plan for a while.  Something is bettter than nothing.  I may not do it in the 9 weeks because I want to do the 3 miles in 30 minutes.  I've got 12 weeks until the next obstacle race, so I may figure out a way to stretch out he increments a little to give myself and my 45 year old body an opportunity to rise to the occasion.  I don't know, something like turning the alternate three day week into a four day "week" or switch to a 45 second jog for the first week so I can get the speed I am hoping for.

I feel encouraged to have finally found a plan I can understand and maybe even work with.  Here's the link again.  I'll post later what I decided to do about stretching the training into 11 or 12 weeks.

Here is the Couch to 5K Plan link again.

No comments:

Post a Comment