Friday, May 27, 2011

Back To School: Calculus--Well, Almost

I started a semester of Calculus on Sunday.  It's actually Basic Applied Calculus.  I'm not sure what that means for sure.  Perhaps it's like some kind of pergatory between Pre-Calc and Calc.  I just know I don't like that so far I spent a lot of money to do word problems.

That leads me to what appears to be an unrelated topic.  But stay with me.

I'm addicted to the DeMYSTiFieD series.  So I've bought one--if they had one--every time I've taken a course.  In my math journeys, the one DeMYSTiFieD guide I've used again and again has been the math word problems issue.  I bought it used off e-bay.  I've used it to tutor others and myself through College Algebra, PreCalculus, Elementary Statistics and now I have it back out for Calculus.  Word Problems.

math word problems Demystified
Allan G. Bluman
McGraw Hill
ISBN 0-07-144316-9
stock photo
Decimals
Fractions
Percents
Equations
Money
Age
Distance
Mixture
Finance
Lever
Work
Two Equations
Quadratic Equations
Geometry
Probability
Statistics
Other strategies

This is just one of the best ones out there.  Like I said, I've returned to it again and again for myself and for others.

No comments:

Post a Comment