Thursday, June 18, 2015

Calling In Favors

I am back today perplexed about a realization.  Another epiphany--if you will.  Favors are called favors for a reason.

"Will you do me a favor?"

Usually, the person has the right to say, "No."

However, if the one asking the question has already done something as a "favor" for the person being asked for a favor, obligation now exists.  Depending on the frequency of the original favors, the obligation can get large.

Herein lies my perplexities.

See, I tried to find a definition of the word favor that includes our ability to "call in a favor" and I couldn't find one.  A favor is an act above or beyond what might be expected or required.

"Will you do me a favor?"

Nothing in that sentence states to me:

"I've been doing X for you.  You are now obligated to do X for me."

Or:

"You've been doing X for me, I will do X for you."

If there is an agreement where two parties tell one another, "If you do this, I will do this."  That is an agreement between two parties.

So I struggle.  Where does the obligation begin.  Who gets to call in the favor?  When is it even?

He did that for her when he didn't have to.  Now she must do for him?

No comments:

Post a Comment