Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Fitness: Two Hills and My Sit Bones

I decided to mix up my ride a little and take the two small hills down a long straight road near my house.  I don't care too much for the road because it's a little more busy than the others and means cars going around me or approaching me on blind hills.  However, it just felt like something I wanted to do.  There are two more small hills I can practice riding before I go to North Carolina--again.

A lot of my strength and stamina began returning toward the end of the week.  I made it to the end of the street I was riding on, so that was a total of 22 minutes of constant peddling at a pretty stiff pace.

I bought a Terry bike saddle probably about a year ago.  It seemed like the thing to do.  My saddle was making my "lady bits" go numb and my butt hurt like you can't believe--for days.  I decided on the Terry saddle because it got pretty rave reviews.  I do have to admit it is comfortable, but I've been forever toughening my sit bones.  This saddle is one of those little seats--it doesn't look exactly like this one--but it is the flx version.  I think mine has been discontinued since then.  I really like it.  Of course my rear hangs over, but I'd have to be a stick figure for that not to happen.  Some women don't like the hang over, so they pick bigger saddles.  They are doing themselves an injustice.
This is not the exact seat.  I got this picture from
the website.  It has taken some getting used to,
but I can feel my sit bones getting tougher.
I did a lot of reading and looking around.  People really do seem to like these the Terry brand.  I like the idea that the saddle doesn't conform.  My other one that came with the bike mashed with riding and became uncomfortable.  Thus, the numb "lady bits".  I think the pressure points were too narrow--like for a man?

This Terry lands just right.  I have one spot on my anatomy that still gets to tingling after about 20 minutes of riding, but a quick adjustment to sit back a little bit and everything seems to get right.

I'd like to work up to taking both the hills twice with a long straight away in between before I go back up to North Carolina.  Let's see where I am in another week or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment