Saturday, April 2, 2011

Never On Sunday: The Preacher Likes to Talk

This begins a new Sunday series:  Never On Sunday.  With a lifetime of faith and church going on, I imagine I have a few annecdotes and lessons learned in life in the pew.  So here is number one.  Prepare to be deeply offended if you've never taken the time to get to know your pastor.

Barring a few individuals who are near and dear to my heart, I'll put this out there:

I think preachers are the most irritating people on the planet.

Think about that girl or guy back in high school or middle school that just never would shut up.  I've had some pretty sour experiences with men--and women--of the so-called "cloth".  I always thought pastoring was about servanthood.  I'm beginning to think that a great deal of pastors just want to be heard, think they're not being heard, or just like to hear themselves talk.  As I said above, it's not the case with all pastors, some have really got it going on.  They serve their parish and parishioners with a strong leader's heart and servant's spirit.  To find one is a true rare gift to be cherished.

Other than that, the whole lot of them need to find new jobs.

As a professional musician, I do have opportunity to "go behind the scenes" in many churches.  I've listened while others talked and I've learned that our churches are being led by arrogant slackers that punch time clocks and keep inventory of their own good deeds and malign anyone else's.  Puff up their importance and overlook who really is the keeper of the keys.  Umm, excuse me, you are getting paid to do that, so how about you just shut up and do it.  By "that", I mean all those things you "do" during the week when we're all at work doing what we get paid to do.  A pastor pastors his church, an office manager manages an office and a doctor see patients.

I recently listened to a pastor talk (from the pulpit) about how difficult the life of a pastor must be for his family.  For this reason, they cherish vacations and send the kids to camp with other preacher's kids that aren't "coping" with the life of a PK.  What about children of fathers that are in public service?  Doctors, military, law enforcement?  Especially military and law enforcement.  Those kids have to know their parent could be killed in the line of duty.  I dont' know too many preacher's kids that have lost their dad to a gun shot wound at the pulpit.  Doctor's kids who have to spend yet another Christmas with a parent working in the E.R. taking care of strangers.  Just about every occupation has its tragedies.  I just say, you chose it.  If you don't like torturing your kids with hugs from little old ladies, church and summer camp, find a new profession.

I'm just thinkin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment