Monday, March 25, 2013

Books and Movies: In Praise of Chris Bohjalian

It happened quite innocently.  I read a book from the library called Midwives and didn't think a thing about it.  I liked it, and the plot stuck with me more so than most books.  Then I saw the book at the bookstore with another on of his books tThe Double Bind.  I was so creeped out by this book, I had to have another.  Skeletons at the Feast, Secrets of Eden, and The Night Strangers.  I have now read five Christ Bohjalian books (that I can recall).  His books are never long--about 400 pages--there is nothing gratuitous or unnecessary.  For example, I have read books that I got into the middle and ended up skimming through the middle section and not missing a thing.  With Chris Bohjalian, the reader better pay attention and not miss a word.  Consequently, my next five reviews will be Chris Bohjalian books.  Probably not necessary to dedicate a whole blog to each book, because they are all so very good, but I think it takes a lot of work to write quality fiction and have it stick out over the others, so I'll give Mr. Bohjalian his props. 

No comments:

Post a Comment