Monday, January 23, 2012

Back to School: Fundamentals of Cheating

I am now in week four of my fourth class at University of Phoenix.  I've been here long enough now that I can post the name of the school without feeling like I am doing the school a disservice.  At have a 94.5 in the class at the moment.  However, my grades from week three have not been posted yet.

This class marks 17 classes until I am done with this idea.  I am now wishing it was over.  I want to learn and I want to experience and I know I will miss that most of all, but I will not miss the students that want to be spoon-fed.

I'm sure the odds were destined to catch up with me, but I have experienced some new things.  Cheating and laziness.  I suppose the lazyiness isn't new, but when you read this you will be surprised at the new levels.

So, about the cheating.  It has happened in two classes.  Both times the cheating was more rooted in plagiarism than in actually cheating on something like a test, but it's still cheating in my book.  The first was a team mate submitted a flowchart as her work.  She posted "Here is my flowchart." among some other statements that said me that she was claiming a flowchart she had copy/pasted from a website as her own work.

The odd thing about that particular event was that I stumbled upon the exact same flowchart while I was looking for an example to study for the exact same assignment.  I called her on it and told our team leader.  Nothing was done.

In the next class.  I had a classmate copy/paste our teamleader's work and post it as his in his team's forum.  That was bold.

I have also had the same student in two classes in a row now that posts the same response to everone's post--over and over again.  Within the post he adds a short sentence to "personalize" the post a little, but it's the same response!  He made it throught the other class even after someone else in the class called him on it.  Here is the irony.  He was the one that copy/pasted the work from my teamleader to his team.  The icing on that lovely little cake is that there were members of the class that defended him and said for people to stop singling him out.

Um excuse me, you cheated and you can't even manage to write your own posts.  When I saw him name on the roster for this class I knew I was not going to give him a moment of my time.  He posted one of his copy/paste reponses to my post and nested some kind of flattery in the middle with a question about the assignment.  I didnt' respond.  I don't care if I get counted off for not responding, I'm not going to waste my participation on a slacker.

No comments:

Post a Comment