Friday, February 25, 2011

The Winter of Our Discontent, Part 1: The Stars Align

Quite possibly one of the worst and best things that could have ever happened to me began and--in reflection--ended, with a simple invitation to breakfast.  Since it involves breakfast, I assume you've figured out it isn't bungie jumping or sky diving.  So yes, it involves a man.

I will spoil this for you Jerry Springer types and give away the ending.  Nothing happened.  Although he was not the perfect gentleman, he was gentleman enough to let me make the final decision and--since nothing happened--you know what I chose.

It is no personal challenge to decide that I will share no details to embarass or identify the other actor in this most despicable play.  I will even take an author's priviledge of stretching and contracting time.  But I assure you, what you will read in the coming weeks is true.  For both actors knew well their role:  predator and prey.  As a critic reluctantly leaving the theatre, I am convinced that one actor's role was much more rehearsed to the point of appearing ad lib.

It is this easy going delivery of lines that begins our story.

We crossed paths on a purely professional level.  In honesty, I more than likely met him before I knew I'd met him.  So many social circles interlock in the world--even in a city.  We were probably introduced many times before.  But the circles grew smaller with a returned phone call, a missed appointment, a colleague and an agreement, "To see me".  It was in the flurry of the post Christmas rush.  That first brush with his abrasive bravado proved quite the deterrent for the next few encounters.  I'm not so sure I even wanted to hear his voice  again.  He would take care of everything.  I was in good hands.  (Yeah, right.)  I remember walking away thinking:  "Who is this guy?  I bet he was a total punk in high school."  I hate this term, but in my mind, I literally blew him off.  I would temporarily tolerate his behavior but that would be it.

Ah, but with a long sigh I look back and see even as I walked away from him, our circles were already small enough.  My contempt for his over inflated ego and his curiosity at my contempt.  The stars were already aligning.

No comments:

Post a Comment