Thursday, September 1, 2011

Where to Begin? #4 Getting to Know Me

The last two weeks were pretty traumatic.  It was my parent's 50th wedding anniversary and a family reunion of sorts was scheduled for the following day.  My mom expected 75 people to be at the event.  I was very nervous about seeing people I hadn't seen in as much as 35 years.  People that knew me in another time.  I had no desire to return to this time in my life, but it seemed like it was bearing down on me faster than I was prepared.

I woke up the morning of the party aggitated.  Luckily, my husband just left me alone and let me get ready.  I wore a dress I didn't plan on wearing--another subject--and stuffed myself in a body shaper in hopes of hiding the extra 75 pounds I was carrying.  I let my hair curl and wore matching sandals.  I felt old, fat and ugly.

The upside of all this is only 43 people showed and none of them were "old friends" from my past.  My favorite aunt and uncle were there with my cousin.  We spent both days hanging around with them.

The irony of the very arduous day is that my mom said she didn't enjoy feeling like she was on display and this whole weekend was her idea!  Whatever.

No comments:

Post a Comment